“The leading Pan-African Open, Distance and e-Learning (ODeL) network
“To prepare learners, using open distance and eLearning,to better contribute to the development of the African continent through provision of high quality tertiary and continuing education”
“In seeking to achieve its vision and mission, AVU will be guided by the following core values:
- Excellence – AVU is committed to promoting excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and community engagement.
- Innovation – AVU is committed to the innovative use of information and communication technologies.
- Partnerships – AVU is committed to expanding and supporting existing and future high quality partnerships.
- Borderless Higher Education – AVU advocates and supports in-country and cross-border education.
- Accessibility for all – AVU is committed to availability of education at all times irrespective of gender, age, race, religion, language and geographical locale
- Sustainability – AVU is dedicated to securing alternative sources of funding
- Professionalism – AVU is professionally committed to honesty, trustworthiness, equity, integrity, tolerance, team work and respectfulness.
- Increase access to tertiary and continuing education in Africa by reaching large numbers of students and professionals in multiple sites simultaneously;
- To increase access to higher quality Open, Distance and eLearning (ODeL) resources that are relevant to Africa
- To enhance the ODeL capacity of African tertiary educational institutions.
- To enhance and sustain a network of Partner Institutions using ODeL.
- To build and sustain partnerships with institutions that can support the African Virtual University Mission.
- To carry out research and evaluation activities on ODeL on the African Continent.
- To build and sustain a committed and effective African Virtual University organization.
- To develop and implement a fund raising strategy in support of all of the above objectives with focus on African Governments, the Private Sector and International Organizations