The Module on History of Education will help you to understand how the past events shaped the present education systems, theories and related phenomenon in the area of teacher education in particular and education in general. Secondly, it will enable you to appreciate the importance of education to mankind since time immemorial across the generations. By so doing, you are will be able to critically examine the fundamental part which education plays in the transformation of society. Note that as a teacher, you are a change agent. Thus, your role in the process of change will be further highlighted. Besides it also will prepare you to ably examine present trends and dynamics in education, draw practical lessons from the past, avoid possible mistakes, and initiate more viable plans for the benefit of Society.2. Prerequisite or knowledge
For you to do the Module well, you should have basic knowledge and understanding
of the education system in your community, country or region. In addition, general knowledge about the historical, geographical, social and related aspects of the local and international communities will make your study easier and enriching.
It is important that you draw a lot from the your personal experiences and formal
education in the Secondary (High) School, College, or University and, probably, your experience as a teacher (trainee).
3. General objectives
The objectives of this Module are to:
- Enable you understand and appreciate the importance of History of Education in your professional and daily practice
- Enhance your capacity to understand the importance of education in the development of Society since time immemorial.
- Guide you to establish the linkage between educational theory and practice in national and global systems with emphasis on Africa.
- Enhance your capacity to understand and appreciate the challenges in education in Post Colonial Africa.
- Guide you to adopt practical strategies and measures aimed at addressing national and international issues in education.
Coverage of the Module will require about 120 Hours. These are divided into:
Unit 1 40 Hours
Unit 2 30 Hours
Unit 3 25 Hours
Unit 4 25 Hours
You will need the following materials and resources to help you go through the module:
- A computer with internet (Optional)
- Web-based Materials
- Online resources
- Recorded Materials on CD-Rom/DVD
- Any of the recommended references (Optional)