African Virtual University provides higher education programs, usually through the Internet. It offers online education as part of their extended university courses while others offer online courses in African continent. They are considered as distance education. It aim is to provide access to a segment of the population that would not be able to attend a physical campus, as distance-learning students live too far from the physical campus to attend regular classes; and the need for flexibility.
Some students need the flexibility to study at home whenever it is convenient for them. The African Virtual University began in 1997 as a project of the World Bank and later developed into an autonomous institution after it was handed over to African governments in the year 2003.
African Virtual University- An introduction
African Virtual University is a unique initiative which is implemented through computer software. Under this, a virtual lab full of video, audio materials including equipment has been linked under a unified command. Students can do experiments in this laboratory or read the textbook as directed.
If a student has to prepare the circuit through virtual lab then all the equipment are available in this subject and students can make the circuit by mentioning the resistance with appropriate units and get the actual data. Arrangements have also been made for correction of any kind of mistake while using it. Professors will be available to guide the students via virtual mode only.
African Virtual University- Context
The African Virtual University (AVU) has established the largest distance and eLearning network in more than 27 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, and produced more than 41,000 graduates. It hosts 220 open educational modules ranging from mathematics and science, teacher education, and ICT skills –available free of charge in English, French and Portuguese. Program delivery in African Virtual University is administered through information and communication technology such as web pages, e-mail, and other network sources.
Because African Virtual University is relatively new and vary widely, questions remain about the quality of accreditation and assessment. African Virtual University is an important initiative towards the spread of education. This will save time and expenses and students will need to go to the physical lab just to get a feel of the instruments etc. by touch.
Courses offered at African Virtual University
- Bachelor of Education in Mathematics (Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Education in Physics (Physics)
- Bachelor of Education in Chemistry (Chemistry)
- Certificate in ICT Integration in Education – Option Biology
- ICT Integration in Education (Mathematics)
- Certificate in ICT Basic Skills for eLearning (ICT)
- Certificate in ICT Integration in Education – Option Physics
- B.Sc Applied Computer Science (Computer studies and application)
- Certificate in Renewable Energy (Renewable Energy)
- Certificate in ICT Integration in Education – Option Chemistry
- Distance and eLearning Professional Development
Required documents for admission in AVU
When applying for admission to African Virtual University in Kenya you should handy all required documents. Request a list of necessary documents directly from a AVU, as it may vary for different countries.
- Health and Life Insurance
- Family Details
- Application fee
- Online Application form
- IELTS Certificate
- Proof of fee payment
- Student visa
- Experience certificate (MA, PhD)
- TOEFL Certificate
Aim/Objectives of African Virtual University
- African Virtual University enables students to learn through digital modes. Because instead of physical classes, there will be virtual or online classes. The AVU is built on the ‘Hub and Spoke’ model with state-of-the-art ICT expertise.
- It has also been announced to start several new projects to promote digital education, as digital education is being adopted to the changes in the education sector in Africa mainly in Kenya. That’s why the focus has been on digital education by World Bank. In which instead of school education, a lot of emphasis has been given on digital education.
- African Virtual University has been used as an auxiliary coursework of education. In fact, African Virtual University was set up to provide world-class quality universal education, which is available in various African languages and ICT formats, with the aim of providing personalized convenience to students across the country at their doorsteps.